smart fortwo coupé, smart fortwo cabrio, smart EQ fortwo coupé1, smart EQ fortwo cabrio2
Foundation year: 1997
Number of employees: around 800
Annual production figure: > 90,000
- The plant in Hambach, Lorraine, is around 25 kilometres from Saarbrücken, and concentrates on production of the smart fortwo.
- Since 2018, the Hambach plant has been part of the worldwide production network for compact cars, with the Mercedes-Benz plant in Rastatt as the lead plant. The network also includes the Hungarian plant in Kecskemét, the Chinese production location BBAC in Peking and the contractor Valmet Automotive in Uusikaupunki, Finland. In 2018 they were joined by the joint-venture production plant COMPAS in Mexico.
- “smartville”: the assembly line in the form of a plus-sign ideally meets the logistical and production requirements, and ensures efficient production procedures of the highest quality.
- Since the production start of the new smart fortwo in June 2014, this is already the third generation of the model series to be produced in Hambach Band. Since 2007 the Hambach plant has also produced the electric variants.
- The electric smart EQ fortwo coupé1 and smart EQ fortwo cabrio2, which were incorporated into the product and technology brand EQ in March 2018, are produced on the same assembly line as the variants with a combustion engine.
- In the future smart will only produce vehicles with electric drive. This makes smart the first automobile brand in the world to change over completely from combustion engines to electric drive systems.
- A compact Mercedes-Benz EQ model is to be produced at the plant in the future. This is a continuation of the electric initiative by Mercedes-Benz. The investment volume amounting to 500 million euros will go into new production shops and into the product itself.
- The four-seater smart forfour is produced by the cooperation partner Renault in its plant in Novo Mesto.
1smart EQ fortwo coupé:
Combined power consumption: 15.7 – 13.9 kWh/100 km; combined CO2 emissions: 0 g/km
2smart EQ fortwo cabrio:
Combined power consumption: 15.8 – 13.9 kWh/100km; combined CO2 emissions: 0 g/km
*Electric energy consumption has been determined on the basis of Regulation (EC) No. 692/2008. Electric energy consumption depends on the vehicle configuration.