AMG Engine Production Facility, AMG Performance Studio
Year of foundation: 1976
Number of employees: > 1,700
- Mercedes-AMG is the performance and sports car brand of Mercedes-Benz Cars. Since 2005 Mercedes-AMG GmbH has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of Daimler AG.
- Founded in 1967 by Hans-Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher, the company began its cooperation with Mercedes-Benz in 1990.
- The location in Affalterbach near Stuttgart houses the development and design of AMG vehicles, as well as the engine production facility, alongside management, administration and sales.
- Affalterbach is the production location for the V8 engines, and from spring 2019 the 4-cylinder performance engines (M139) will be produced there. Mannheim is a further engine production plant (V12 engine). At these locations the engines are assembled according to the philosophy of “One Man, One Engine”, with one fitter putting together each engine by hand.
- The AMG vehicles are produced as part of series production in the international Mercedes-Benz plants.
- “Driving Performance” is the motto of the AMG brand, and it is expressed by tangible, innovative excellence in every vehicle.
- The SLS AMG, the Mercedes-AMG GT and the 4-door AMG GT are milestones in the company’s history: the three sports cars were developed entirely in-house.
- In 2018 Mercedes-AMG delivered more than 118,000 vehicles.